Household Hazards! When You Have Mold-Who Pays?

Mold – it’s an ugly four-letter word in more ways than one. Nobody wants to think about the fact that this fungus can be found anywhere where water leaks or drainage problems are present. Mold can cause serious damage to a condominium, like ruining drywall, and is believed to trigger numerous health problems in susceptible persons.

But when your home is contaminated by mold, and you just want it to go away, who pays for the damage and the cleanup? Is it the responsibilityof the homeowner? Is it the condo association’s responsibility? Is it the next door neighbors’ responsibility if the water came from their unit and damaged yours? The answer to all of these questions is… it depends.

The condo association’s master policy, as well as the association documents, spell out what parts of the complex the condo association will insure and what parts are the unit owner’s responsibility.The condominium association insurance typically covers the condo building, any common property such as hallways, lobbies and shared terraces, etc., as well as liability insurance for the association.

Unit owners are typically responsible for whatever part of their unit the master policy doesn’t cover, including damages, as well as any additions or alterations they’ve made to their homes.

“How the unit owner’s insurance and the condominium association’s insurance interact is dependent upon the language in the condo documents, specifically the “unit boundaries” that define the unit owner’s responsibility for damaged property as opposed to the association’s responsibility,” says GeorgeSalter of Insurance Reconstruction Services in Smithfield, Rhode Island.


Related Articles

Silencing Leaks

Identifying and Dealing With Plumbing Issues

Staff Safety 101

Protecting Employees in Your Building

Directors and Officers Insurance

Must-Have, Or Luxury?



  • My condo association comissioned an environmental report to determine the cause of mold in my closet. It pointed to poorly caulked exterior, lack of water proofing, and general poor maintenance of the common area. The quickly called for a contractor to determine the cost of the work. However, the price was costly and now they maintain that because it is in my unit, I, not the Associaiton is responsible. They claimed they didn't have insurance but in fact they do. What do I do to correct the issue? It has been well over a year with almost monthly follow up to see if they would reconsider and do something. I have a lawyer but it is moving slowly...
  • knowledgeable in Nashville on Saturday, August 27, 2011 7:32 PM
    Au Contrair Mr. Salter, even whether or not you display allergy symptoms, the ramifications of Toxic Mold exposure extend far beyond the "mere" discomfort of allergy symptoms. So please educate yourself and do not feign knowledge when unequivically you need to educate yourself further.
  • we own our home but have hoa, we had a flood awhile ago and they had someone come test , this guy told my mother and I that , "he wasn't allowed to tell us the results", "but that our mold toxins were high"! My whole family is sick and just getting worse, back when they took the test , we asked hoa to tell us the results of that test , but never gave us the results. Instead we got a letter telling us that they would not cover any type of mold infestation, and that was that! Now a few years have gone by and I'm getting sicker and sicker by the day! I'm afraid what's going to happen to my family and I , how can I get them to take care of their responsibility ?